Texas Weather Burlesque

So Sunday it was so beautiful and spring-like that I started off the day with yoga on the patio and ended it with wine in the fading sunshine. Monday was grey and cold, and Tuesday it snowed. Snowed.

Which was absolutely amazing. I know a lot of folks out there hate snow. Most of the east coast is completely over it, and just last year the upper NW coast was full up with their share of the white fluffy muck to the point that I knew at least two people ready to go postal on the stuff.

But I think the last time it actually snowed in Austin was probably seven years ago and the flakes coming down Tuesday were big and huge and soft. Everywhere I walked on campus, people were just laughing and smiling like children, taking pictures of it, as if the sky were raining kittens. I saw two tiny snowmen, and everywhere people looked happier than I'd seen them in a long time.

The next day it was 50 degrees and sunny.

Texas weather is like a burlesque dancer who tempts and teases with the promise of fulfillment, only to change direction right when it's getting good. Except for summer. Summer is a wall of hot sound. Which does not, I realize, complete the metaphor. Feel free to supply a better resolution in comments?

I spent the better part of the week, moving into my new office and getting to know my new co-workers. This has been a breath of fresh air and in many ways, a return to my original career path, and I'm quite happy about it.

Tonight, I'll spend a little time working with the Ladies of LAFF, a fantastic comedy and improv festival for female performers. Tomorrow, an opening of a Gnap piece, The Family. Theater, theater, and more theater.

Comments

  1. "Texas weather is like a burlesque dancer who tempts and teases with the promise of fulfillment, only to change direction right when it's getting good."

    Best description of Texas weather EVER.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment